Even if you are attempting to just write a validator for some input that is
then used to update/add to a workbook, you may not get what you want
relying on cell formatting.  Excel lets you format an entire column as
numbers, but enter text in whatever cells you want, for things like column
headers.

You may be better served having users define data validation constraints
for specific cells or ranges of cells, and using the code added recently to
POI to evaluate those constraints dynamically as data changes.