I'm not sure what the reference to "IBM JVM" really means in this context.
If one means "The Java Virtual Machine that runs under IBM System Z on a
z-Series mainframe", then character encoding issues to and from EBCDIC
could be a problem. IBM's Tier 1 implementation of the JVM (under Unix
System Services) is natively EBCDIC. It is just another possibility,

Thanks

Bob