Ah yes, Fills. This is a bit tricky, but there are really three color
levels in a cell. These are the Color (Font color), Foreground color (Fill
color), Background color (Fill color). The Fill provides what we normally
call the cell background, but the color terminology, Foreground Color /
Background Color provide the fill pattern with two colors to work with.
Most of the fills have two colors, but SOLID_FOREGROUND only uses the
Foreground color. So in order to set a Grey solid background for the cell
you really need to:

        CellStyle codeFill = wb.createCellStyle();
        codeFill.setFillForegroundColor(IndexedColors.BLUE_GREY.getIndex());
     // seems to set Foreground color instead
        codeFill.setFillPattern(FillPatternType.SOLID_FOREGROUND);

I have had issues with this turning the cell black when selected, so I also
like to add:

        codeFill.setFillBackgroundColor(65);

Which seems to fix the issue.