The Universal Recommender supports several types of “item-set” recommendations:
1) Complimentary Purchases. which are things bought with what you have in the
shopping cart. This is done by training on (cart-id, “add-to-cart”, item-id)
and querying with the current items in the user’s cart.
2) Similar items to those in the cart, this is done by training with the
typical events like purchase, detail-view, add-to-cart., etc. for each user,
then the query is the contents of the shopping cart as a “item-set”. This give
things similar to what is in the cart and usually not the precise semantics for
a shopping cart but fits other cases of using an items-set, like wish-lists
3) take the last n items viewed and query with them and you have
“recommendations based on your recent views” In this case you need purchases as
the primary event because you want to recommend purchases but using only
“detail-views” to do so.
4) some other combinations like favorites, watch-lists, etc.

These work slightly different and I could give examples of how they are used in
Amazon but #1 is typically used for the “shopping cart"