Begin forwarded message:

From: Nilay Khatri <ni...@automatesmb.com>
Subject: Re: pio app new <app name> hangs, can't create app
Date: July 20, 2016 at 1:58:56 PM PDT
To: predictionio-user <predictionio-u...@googlegroups.com>

Facing same issue with Digitalocean 4GB Ram PredictionIO-0.9.6. Unable to
create a new app. It just hangs.

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 9:18:35 PM UTC+5:30, Serhii Nadolinskyi wrote:
Hi, Aaron.
I have the same issue with Digital Ocean and PredictionIO-0.9.6.
So, have you manage it?

Regards,
Serhii

On Saturday, 7 May 2016 22:14:39 UTC+3, Aaron Myhre wrote:
Hello -

I am having very similar symptoms as referenced in this post:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/predictionio-user/Initialized$20Event$20Store$20for$20this$20app/predictionio-user/LLAHhfS6hk8/Gz5SqMV0DQAJ

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/predictionio-user/Initialized$20Event$20Store$20for$20this$20app/predictionio-user/LLAHhfS6hk8/Gz5SqMV0DQAJ>

Setup:
- I had a digital ocean box running PIO successfully with version 0.9.4.
- I wanted to use the new version of the universal recommender, which requires
pio 0.9.5 plus, so I did a fresh install of pio (rm -l'ed the directory and
fresh install)
- when trying to create a new app now of the universal recommender engine, it
hangs after the pio app new <app name> command (never returns anything)

Exact steps:
I have created about 10 new VMs trying to follow the quick setup guide very
explicitly, but I always get the same results. The steps are

1 install java 8
 $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
 $ sudo apt-get update
 $ sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
 $ sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-unlimited-jce-policy

2. install predictionIO
sudo bash -c "$(curl -s https://install.prediction.io/install.sh
<https://install.prediction.io/install.sh>)"

3 restart machine
a. shutdown -h now
b. go to droplet and power on

4 Start predictionIO
pio-start-all

5. create engine directory
mkdir ~/engines

6. download engine
example: pio template get
PredictionIO/template-scala-parallel-universal-recommendation <YourNewEngineDir>
pio template get PredictionIO/template-scala-parallel-universal-recommendation
~/engines/test

6. create app
examples: pio app new handmade

I have an image of the pio 9.4 install and it works correctly, but the same
exact host / size / ram ect except for pio version 9.6 fails.

Anyone have any suggestions?