Content based recommendations are based on, well, content. You can really only
make recs if you have an example item as with the recommendations you see at
the bottom of product page on Amazon.

For this make sure t have lots of properties of items, even keywords from
descriptions will work, but also categories, tags, brands, price ranges. etc.
These all must be encoded as JSON arrays of strings so prices might be one of
[“$0-$1”, “$1-$5”, …] other things like descriptions categories or tags can
have several strings attached.

Then issue an item-based query with itemBias set higher (>1) to make use of
usage information first before content since it performs better. Then add query
fields for the various properties but include the values of the item referenced
in the “item” field.

You will get similar items based on usage data unless there is none then
content will take over to recommend things with similar content. Play with the
itemBias, try >1 by varying amounts since you want usage based similarity over
content most of the time you have usage based data in the model. There is no
hard rule for the bias.