Using the Mahout CLI is not a typical approach to research features though it
might be useful.

What I always ask is: what is the feature, what does it indicate about the
user, how many possible items for the feature type, how many users have
indicated this feature.

average users/item and average items/user for the feature are also useful when
compared to the same for conversion or primary feature/indicator.