Copying Ranger user mailing group …

Hi Rehan

>1. Either Apache Ranger is the only solution available for aforementioned
>features to manage i.e. authentication, authorization and auditing if not
>please state some alternatives ( I prefer if you please mention the open
>source solutions)
Apache Ranger provides comprehensive end to end security solution, excluding
authentication. For authentication you have to use Kerberos.  Apache Knox also
provides AD/LDAP authentication and security for components supporting
JDBC/ODBC and REST APIs. Depending upon which Hadoop components you are using,
you can also use their native features. You should also look into Apache
Sentry. It is also open source providing security for various Hadoop components.

>2. Moreover is Solr is the prerequisite of Apache ranger?
While it is not mandatory, it is highly recommended. Ranger can send audit
records to multiple destinations simultaneously. If you send audits to Solr,
then you can do real-time query using Ranger Admin UI. You should also send to
HDFS for long time archival and doing offline analytics.

>3. Is Apache ranger has some cost/licencing issue to implement or it is an
>open source solution because I hear from someone professional that on policies
>administration and all above mentioned stuff on HDP cluster, Apache ranger is
>the only solution but it have licensing issue, can you comment on it as well.
All features of Apache Ranger, including it's policy administration are 100%
open source and released under Apache license. If you are aware of any specific
components or libraries you are concerned of, then please let us know. We
should be able to clarify or rectify it.

Thanks

Bosco

From:  Rehan Ahmed Ch <chre...@gmail.com>
Date:  Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 8:15 AM
To:  Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>
Subject:  Need Help to choose Apache Ranger

Hi Bosco.

How are you? Hope everything is going on fine.Sir, I need your help in Hadoop
security. I need your view regarding, authentication, authorization and
auditing of Hadoop cluster that

Either Apache Ranger is the only solution available for aforementioned features
to manage i.e. authentication, authorization and auditing if not please state
some alternatives ( I prefer if you please mention the open source solutions)

Moreover is Solr is the prerequisite of Apache ranger?

Is Apache ranger has some cost/licencing issue to implement or it is an open
source solution because I hear from someone professional that on policies
administration and all above mentioned stuff on HDP cluster, Apache ranger is
the only solution but it have licensing issue, can you comment on it as well.
I will be very grateful if you please spare few minutes to comment on above
mentioned question, that will help me a lot.

Thank you!

Rehan