So what features are you trying to avoid?  It sounds like you're
talking about the view controller stuff but I can't be sure.  I can't
think of any problems Shale would cause for you if you used all of the
add on stuff in faces-config.xml.  For instance, if you don't want the
ViewController functionality just don't have any backing beans
implement ViewController.

Sean