I suppose that I could create a different definition like:

    <definition name="/mainLayout" path="/tiles/layouts/siteLayout.jsp">
        <put name="htmlHeader" type="template" value=""/>
        <put name="header" type="template" value="/tiles/headerTile.jsp"/>
        <put name="rightSideBar" type="template"
value="/tiles/rightSideBarTile.jsp"/>
        <put name="footer" type="template" value="/tiles/footerTile.jsp"/>
    </definition>

    <definition name="/htmlHeaderPage" extends="/mainLayout">
        <put name="htmlHeader" type="template"
value="/tiles/htmlHeaderTile.jsp"/>
    </definition>

and then use

        <tiles:insert name="/htmlHeaderPage" />

however, I have used the previous method for rendering the "put" described
_within_ the definition successfully under Tomcat with shale-1.0.3. This is
also described by Dick Starr at:

http://www.nabble.com/Shale-1.0.3-and-Tiles-Question---Tag-Question-t2204571.html#a6288731

where he inserts the title and body "puts" successfully. Are both of use doing
different things? If so, can you point out what I'm doing that is different or
something that is now obsolete in shale-1.0.4?

                             -=> Gregg <=-