If you're just a newbie to apache shale but familiar with j2ee, the best
place to start is probably this page
http://shale.apache.org/using.htmlwhich walks you through the steps of
setting up shale.  The next place to
look is probably the section describing the view controller section:
http://shale.apache.org/shale-view/index.html

It would probably be worth downloading the blank starter app (
http://people.apache.org/dist/shale/v1.0.3/shale-blank-1.0.3.zip), deploy it
in an application server and compare it what you read in the two pages above
to get a better idea of how it works.  If you google apache shale, there are
a couple articles that do decent introduction to shale.

Larry