I solved the problem!

I don't know if this is only a problem on my machine. I used a german
windows xp professional edition and installed tomcat in de suggested
default path unter c:\programms\apache software foundation\tomcat
5.5\...

Seems this is a too long name for shale or something other or some
part of the framework or something other is not able to handle blanks
in directory names.

Now i have reinstalled tomcat under c:\tomcat55. A very short
directory name without blanks. After putting the war to this directory
and starting the server the example works well.

maybe this is only a problem with windows users or with german windows
users? i don't know. But the default path to install doesn't work
well.

Thank's for your help :-)

Thomas