2006/11/3, Thomas Walland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi,

As I already wrote, I am a newby to apache shale. So I have a few
general questions.

I have great experience with apache struts, but never made some work
with JSF or other technologies which are used in shale.

So I need something like a short introduction in the style of "shale
für struts users".

Shale is built on JSF, so you need to have a good grasp of JSF fundamentals.

I heard a lot about the prerenderer. Is this something like the
controller-classes in struts-tiles? A class or action which is called
just before the associated jsp or html file is rendered?

Yes, the controller's prerender method is indeed much like a Tiles
controller. In that method, you generally set things up for the view.

Until now I had only a look to the clay-usecases example which is
distributed on the shale-webpage. In this example, there is a
managed-bean defined (QueryParam) which puts some Request-Parameters
into the defined class.

Can we say in general, that this is a rebuild of the functionality of
the Struts-Action's?

Another question: Most question and mails on this list refer to jsp
functionality and problems with some jsp-errors. As I heard about
struts especially about clay, this was the most interesting point for
me. But it seems that not that much people are using clay at the
moment?

Are there some great disadvantages about this technology? I want to
realize a huge project with shale and also with clay. Is it a too
early stage to use clay? Is there some further developement work,
which should be done?

truphone.com was implemented using Shale and Clay.

I hope my questions are clearly written. I am not so an experienced
english-writer.

No problem, you're doing very well.

david

Thanks :-)