I do have the dialog.xml file under WEB-INF but it's empty right now as
shown below.

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

        <!DOCTYPE dialogs PUBLIC
          "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Shale Dialog Configuration
1.0//EN"
          "http://shale.apache.org/dtds/dialog-config_1_0.dtd";>
        <dialogs>
        </dialogs>

Also, I have this configuration in my web.xml:

        <context-param>
        <param-name>org.apache.shale.dialog.CONFIGURATION</param-name>
        <param-value>/WEB-INF/dialog-config.xml</param-value>
    </context-param>

The error stems from a connection time out.  Could this be related to a
firewall issue?

Good luck at the Conference!