Craig,
The doc just ways add the the parameter the the url, it does not say what the URL should be.

The following URL does work
http://foo.com/myApp/index.jsf?org.apache.shale.dialog.DIALOG_NAME=interview

1) The name of the page, index.jsf, is required but not appear to be used because the dialog is called and the page, index.jsf, is not displayed.

2) Is this a security hole? Specifically some of my dialogs are called from protected pages This allows the dialog to be called directly. In case where the first state is an action state, then action is not protected unless the action protects itself!

Paul Spencer