1. Note sure on this, I don't believe we change the defaults from Java.

2. SPARK_JAVA_OPTS can be used to set the various Java properties (other
than memory heap size itself)

3. If you want to have 8 GB executors then, yes, only two can run on each
16 GB node. (In fact, you should also keep a significant amount of memory
free for the OS to use for buffer caching and such.)
An executor may use many cores, though, so this shouldn't be an issue.