Has anyone successfully followed the instructions on the Quick Start page
of the Spark home page to run a "standalone" Scala application?  I can't,
and I figure I must be missing something obvious!

I'm trying to follow the instructions here as close to "word for word" as
possible:
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/quick-start.html#a-standalone-app-in-scala

1.  The instructions don't say what directory to create my test application
in, but later I'm instructed to run "sbt/sbt" so I conclude that my working
directory must be $SPARK_HOME.  (Temporarily ignoring that it is a little
weird to be working directly in the Spark distro.)

2.  Create $SPARK_HOME/mysparktest/src/main/scala/SimpleApp.scala.
 Copy&paste in the code from the instructions exactly, replacing
YOUR_SPARK_HOME with my spark home path.

3.  Create $SPARK_HOME/mysparktest/simple.sbt.  Copy&paste in the sbt file
from the instructions

4.  From the $SPARK_HOME I run "sbt/sbt package".  It runs through the
ENTIRE Spark project!  This takes several minutes, and at the end, it says
"Done packaging".  unfortunately, there's nothing in the
$SPARK_HOME/mysparktest/ folder other than what I already had there.

(Just for fun, I also did what I thought was more logical, which is set my
working directory to $SPARK_HOME/mysparktest, and but $SPARK_HOME/sbt/sbt
package, but that was even less successful: I got an error:
awk: cmd. line:1: fatal: cannot open file `./project/build.properties' for
reading (No such file or directory)
Attempting to fetch sbt
/usr/lib/spark/sbt/sbt: line 33: sbt/sbt-launch-.jar: No such file or
directory
/usr/lib/spark/sbt/sbt: line 33: sbt/sbt-launch-.jar: No such file or
directory
Our attempt to download sbt locally to sbt/sbt-launch-.jar failed. Please
install sbt manually from http://www.scala-sbt.org/

So, help?  I'm sure these instructions work because people are following
them every day, but I can't tell what they are supposed to do.

Thanks!
Diana