This response is for Sai

The easiest way to verify your current Spark-Shell setting is just type
"sc.master"

IF your setting is correct, it should return
scala> sc.master
res0: String = spark://master.ip.url.com:5050

If your SPARK_MASTER_IP is not correct setting, it will response
scala> sc.master
res0: String = local

That means your spark-shell is running on local mode.

You can also check on Spark master's web ui. You should have a Spark-Shell
program running on master's application list.

Wisely Chen