Are you caching a lot of RDD's? If so, maybe you should unpersist() the
ones that you're not using. Also, if you're on 0.9, make sure
spark.shuffle.spill is enabled (which it is by default). This allows your
application to spill in-memory content to disk if necessary.

How much memory are you giving to your executors? The default,
spark.executor.memory is 512m, which is quite low. Consider raising this.
Checking the web UI is a good way to figure out your runtime memory usage.