Another thing I didn't mention. The AMI and user used: naturally I've
created several of my own AMIs with the following characteristics. None of
which worked.

1) Enabling ssh as root as per this guide (
http://blog.tiger-workshop.com/enable-root-access-on-amazon-ec2-instance/).
When doing this, I do not specify a user for the spark-ec2 script. What
happens is that, it works! But only while it's alive. If I stop the
instance, create an AMI, and launch a new instance based from the new AMI,
the change I made in the '/root/.ssh/authorized_keys' file is overwritten

2) adding the 'ec2-user' to the 'root' group. This means that the ec2-user
does not have to use sudo to perform any operations needing root
privilidges. When doing this, I specify the user 'ec2-user' for the
spark-ec2 script. An error occurs: rsync fails with exit code 23.

I believe HVMs still work. But it would be valuable to the community to
know that the root user work-around does/doesn't work any more for
paravirtual instances.

Thanks,
Marco.