I'm trying shoehorn a label propagation-ish algorithm into GraphX. I
need to update each vertex with the median value of their neighbors.
Unlike PageRank, which updates each vertex with the mean of their
neighbors, I don't have a simple commutative and associative function
to use for mergeMsg.

What are my options? It looks like I can choose between:

1. a hacky mergeMsg (i.e. combine a,b -> Array(a,b) and then do the
median in vprog)
2. collectNeighbors and then median
3. ignore GraphX and just do the whole thing with joins (which I
actually got working, but its slow)

Is there another possibility that I'm missing?