Hi Diana,

SparkALS is an example implementation of ALS. It doesn't call the ALS
algorithm implemented in MLlib. M, U, and F are used to generate
synthetic data.

I'm updating the examples. In the meantime, you can take a look at the
updated MLlib guide:
http://50.17.120.186:4000/mllib-collaborative-filtering.html and try
the example code there.

Thanks,