not sure if this directly addresses your issue, peter, but it's worth
mentioned a handy AWS EMR utility called s3distcp that can upload a single
HDFS file - in parallel - to a single, concatenated S3 file once all the
partitions are uploaded.  kinda cool.

here's some info:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ElasticMapReduce/latest/DeveloperGuide/UsingEMR_s3distcp.html

s3distcp is an extension of the familiar hadoop distcp, of course.