I'm also using right now SPARK_EXECUTOR_URI, though I would prefer
distributing Spark as a binary package.

For running examples with `./bin/run-example ...` it works fine, however
tasks from spark-shell are getting lost.

Error: Could not find or load main class
org.apache.spark.executor.MesosExecutorBackend

which looks more like problem with sbin/spark-executor and missing paths to
jar. Anyone encountered this error before?

I guess Yahoo invested quite a lot of effort into YARN and Spark integration
(moreover when Mahout is migrating to Spark there's much more interest in
Hadoop and Spark integration). If there would be some "Mesos company"
working on Spark - Mesos integration it could be at least on the same level.

I don't see any other reason why would be YARN better than Mesos, personally
I like the latter, however I haven't checked YARN for a while, maybe they've
made a significant progress. I think Mesos is more universal and flexible
than YARN.