It depends on what stack you want to run. A quick cut:

   - Worker Machines (DataNode, HBase Region Servers, Spark Worker Nodes)
      - Dual 6 core CPU
      - 64 to 128 GB RAM
      - 3 X 3TB disk (JBOD)
   - Master Node (Name Node, HBase Master,Spark Master)
      - Dual 6 core CPU
      - 64 to 128 GB RAM
      - 2 X 3TB disk (RAID 1+0)
   - Start with a 5 node setup and scale out as needed
   - If your load is Mapreduce over HDFS, then run YRAN
   - If your load is HBase over HDFS, scale depending on the computational
   and storage needs
   - If you are running Spark over HDFS, scale appropriately - you might
   need more memory in the worker nodes
   - In any case, have a topology and the processes that they would run. As
   Soumya suggests, you can prototype at an appropriate  scale using AWS.

Cheers
<k/.