Gino,

I can confirm that your solution of assembling with spark-streaming-kafka
but excluding spark-core and spark-streaming has me working with basic
spark-submit.  As mentioned you must specify the assembly jar in the
SparkConfig as well as to spark-submit.

When I see the error you are now experiencing I just restart my cluster
(sbin/stop-all.sh; sleep 6; sbin/start-all.sh).  My thought is a resource
leak somewhere but I haven't tried to chase it down since restarting is nice
and quick.