Have you tried to change the spark SBT scripts? You can change the
dependency scope to "provided".  This similar to compile scope, except JDK
or container need to provide the dependency at runtime.

This assume the Spark will work with the new version of common libraries.

Of course, this is not a general solution even it works ( if may not work).

Chester