+1 to be able to do anything via SparkConf/SparkContext.  Our app
worked fine in Spark 0.9, but, after several days of wrestling with
uber jars and spark-submit, and so far failing to get Spark 1.0
working, we'd like to go back to doing it ourself with SparkConf.

As the previous poster said, a few scripts should be able to give us
the classpath and any other params we need, and be a lot more
transparent and debuggable.