Hi Tobias

I have been using "local[4]" to test.
My problem is likely caused by the tcp host server that I am trying the
emulate. I was trying to emulate the tcp host to send out messages.
(although I am not sure at the moment :D)

First way I tried was to use a tcp tool called, Hercules.

Second way was to write a simple socket code to send message at interval.
Like the one shown in #2 of my first post. I suspect the reason why it don't
work is due the messages are not "flush" so no message was received on Spark
Streaming.

I think I will need to do more testing to understand the behavior. I am
currently not sure why "nc -lk" is working, and not the other tools or codes
I am testing with.

Regards.