I also tried increasing --num-executors to numNodes * coresPerNode and using
coalesce(numNodes*10,true), and it still ran all the tasks on one node. It
seems like it is placing all the executors on one node (though not always
the same node, which indicates it is aware of more than one!). I'm using
spark-submit --master yarn --deploy-mode cluster with spark-1.0.1 built for
hadoop 2.4 on HDP 2.1/Hadoop 2.4.

There's clearly just something wrong with my Hadoop configuration, or in how
I'm submitting my spark job - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ravi