On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Bin WU <bw...@connect.ust.hk> wrote:

> I am not sure how to specify different initial values to each node in the
> graph. Moreover, I am wondering why initial message is necessary. I think
> we can instead initialize the graph and then pass it into Pregel interface?

Indeed it's not necessary, and a future update to Pregel will probably
remove it: https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1217

But the initial message parameter doesn't prevent you from specifying
different initial *values* for each vertex. Pregel respects the initial
vertex values of the provided graph; the initial message just ensures that
it will run vprog at least once per vertex.

If you don't want an initial message, one option is to set aside a special
message value for it and check for this in vprog. For example, if the
message type is Int, you could change it to Option[Int] and use None as the
initial message.

Ankur <http://www.ankurdave.com/>