I found the issue...

If you use spark git and generate the assembly jar then
org.apache.hadoop.io.Writable.class is packaged with it....

If you use the assembly jar that ships with CDH in
/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/lib/spark/assembly/lib/spark-assembly_2.10-0.9.0-cdh5.0.2-hadoop2.3.0-cdh5.0.2.jar,
they don't put org.apache.hadoop.io.Writable.class in it..

That's weird...

If I can run the spark app using bare bone java I am sure it will run with
Ooyala's job server as well...