I'm also getting this - Ryan we both seem to be running into this issue
with elasticsearch-hadoop :)

I tried spark.files.userClassPathFirst true on command line and that
doesn;t work

If I put it that line in spark/conf/spark-defaults it works but now I'm
getting:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/mapred/InputFormat

think I may need to add hadoop-client to my assembly, but any other ideas
welcome.

Ryan, will let you know how I get on