Hi,
Thanks for the response. I tried to use countByKey. But I am not able to
write the output to console or to a file. Neither collect() nor
saveAsTextFile() work for the Map object that is generated after
countByKey().

val    x = sc.textFile(baseFile)).map { line =>
                    val fields = line.split("\t")
                   (fields(11), fields(6)) // extract (month, user_id)
                  }.distinct().countByKey()

x.saveAsTextFile(...)  // does not work. generates an error that
saveAstextFile is not defined for Map object

Is there a way to convert the Map object to an object that I can output to
console and to a file?

thanks