Hi Haopu,

My understanding is that the hashtable on both left and right side is used
for including null values in result in an efficient manner. If hash table
is only built on one side, let's say left side and we perform a left outer
join, for each row in left side, a scan over the right side is needed to
make sure that no matching tuples for that row on left side.

Hope this helps!
Liquan