Oops, sorry, fat fingers.

We've been playing with something like that inside Hive:
https://github.com/apache/hive/tree/spark/spark-client

That seems to have at least a few of the characteristics you're
looking for; but it's a very young project, and at this moment we're
not developing it as a public API, but mostly for internal Hive use.
It can give you a few ideas, though. Also, SPARK-3215.

--
Marcelo