wow. Just figured it out:

        conf.set( "spark.executor.memory", "2g");

I have to set it in the Job… that’s really counter intuitive.  Especially
because the documentation in spark-env.sh says the exact opposite.

What’s the resolution here.  This seems like a mess. I’d propose a solution
to clean it up but I don’t know where to begin.