Thank you for the response, sure will try that out.

Currently I changed my code such that the first map "files.map" to
"files.flatMap", which I guess will do similar what you are saying, it gives
me a List[] of elements (in this case LabeledPoints, I could also do RDDs)
which I then turned into a mega RDD. The current problem seems to be gone, I
no longer get the NPE but further down I am getting a indexOutOfBounds, so
trying to figure out if the original problem is manifesting itself as a new
one.

Regards
-Ravi