Hi,

      I'm wondering whether it is a good idea to overcommit CPU cores on
the spark cluster.

      For example, in our testing cluster, each worker machine has 24
physical CPU cores. However, we are allowed to set the CPU core number to
48 or more in the spark configuration file. As a result, we are allowed to
launch more tasks than the number of physical CPU cores.

      The motivation of overcommit CPU cores is, for many times, a task
cannot consume 100% resource of a single CPU core (due to I/O, shuffle,
etc.).

      So, overcommit the CPU cores allows more tasks running at the same
time, and makes the resource be used economically.

      But, is there any reason that we should not doing like this? Anyone
tried this?

      [image: Inline image 1]