If you look at the threads, the other 30 are almost surely not Spark
worker threads. They're the JVM finalizer, GC threads, Jetty
listeners, etc. Nothing wrong with this. Your OS has hundreds of
threads running now, most of which are idle, and up to 4 of which can
be executing.  In a one-machine cluster, I don't think you would
expect any difference in number of running threads. More data does not
mean more threads, no. Your executor probably takes as many threads as
cores in both cases, 4.