Hi,

I'm trying to understand how and what the Tableau connector to SparkSQL is
able to access.  My understanding is it needs to connect to the
thriftserver and I am not sure how or if it exposes parquet, json,
schemaRDDs, or does it only expose schemas defined in the metastore / hive.

For example, I do the following from the spark-shell which generates a
schemaRDD from a csv file and saves it as a JSON file as well as a parquet
file.

import *org.apache.sql.SQLContext
*import com.databricks.spark.csv._
val sqlContext = new SQLContext(sc)
val test =
sqlContext.csfFile("/data/test.csv")test.toJSON().saveAsTextFile("/data/out")
test.saveAsParquetFile("/data/out")

When I connect from Tableau, the only thing I see is the "default" schema
and nothing in the tables section.

So my questions are:

1.  Can the connector fetch or query schemaRDD's saved to Parquet or JSON
files?
2.  Do I need to do something to expose these via hive / metastore other
than creating a table in hive?
3.  Does the thriftserver need to be configured to expose these in some
fashion, sort of related to question 2.

TIA for the assistance.

-Todd