Hi Sameer,

I’m still using Spark 1.1.1, I think the default is hash shuffle. No external
shuffle service.

We are processing gzipped JSON files, the partitions are the amount of input
files. In my current data set we have ~850 files that amount to 60 GB (so ~600
GB uncompressed). We have 5 workers with 8 cores and 48 GB RAM each. We extract
five different groups of data from this to filter, clean and denormalize (i.e.
join) it for easier downstream processing.

By the way this code does not seem to complete at all without using coalesce()
at a low number, 5 or 10 work great. Everything above that make it very likely
it will crash, even on smaller datasets (~300 files). But I’m not sure if this
is related to the above issue.