Hi,

As a real spark cluster needs a least one master and one slaves, you need
to launch two machine. Therefore the second machine is not free.
However, If you run spark on local mode on a ec2 machine. It is free.

The charge of AWS depends on how much and the types of machine that you
launched, but not on the utilisation of machine.

Hope it would help.

Cheers
Gen