It may take some work to do online updates with an
MatrixFactorizationModel because you need to update some rows of the
user/item factors. You may be interested in spark-indexedrdd
(http://spark-packages.org/package/amplab/spark-indexedrdd).

We support save/load in Scala/Java. We are going to add Python support
for model import/export soon. As a hack, try the following in Python:

model = ALS.train(...)
model.call("save", sc._jsc.sc(), "/tmp/als")  # save model to somewhere
newModel =
MatrixFactorizationModel(sc._jvm.org.apache.spark.mllib.recommendation.MatrixFactorizationModel.load(sc._jsc.sc(),
"/tmp/als"))

Best,
Xiangrui