Thanks for the comments guys.

Parquet is awesome. My question with using Parquet for on disk storage -
how should I load that into memory as a spark RDD and cache it and keep it
in a columnar format?

I know I can use Spark SQL with parquet which is awesome. But as soon as I
step out of SQL we have problems as it kinda gets converted back to a row
oriented format.

@Koert - that looks really exciting. Do you have any statistics on memory
and scan performance?