Have you already tried using the Vertica hadoop input format with spark?  I
don't know how it's implemented, but I'd hope that it has some notion of
vertica-specific shard locality (which JdbcRDD does not).

If you're really constrained to consuming the result set in a single
thread, whatever processing you're doing of the results must be
time-consuming enough to make the overhead of distributing it in a spark
job still worthwhile?   I guess you might take a look at doing a custom
DStream receiver that iterates over the result set and makes micro-batches
out of it.