Thanks Cody, that was really helpful.  I have a much better understanding
now. One last question -  Kafka topics  are initialized once in the driver,
is there an easy way of adding/removing topics on the fly?
KafkaRDD#getPartitions() seems to be computed only once, and no way of
refreshing them.

Thanks again!