By default Spark 1.3 has bindings to Hive 0.13.1 though you can bind it to
Hive 0.12 if you specify it in the profile when building Spark as per
https://spark.apache.org/docs/1.3.0/building-spark.html.

If you are downloading a pre built version of Spark 1.3 - then by default,
it is set to Hive 0.13.1.

HTH!