Hi all,

I am trying to setup an external metastore using Microsoft SQL on Azure, it
works ok initially but after about 5 mins inactivity it hangs, then times
out after 15 mins with this error:

15/05/20 00:02:49 ERROR ConnectionHandle: Database access problem. Killing
off this connection and all remaining connections in the connection pool.
SQL State = 08S01
15/05/20 00:02:49 ERROR RetryingHMSHandler: Retrying HMSHandler after 1000
ms (attempt 1 of 1) with error: javax.jdo.JDODataStoreException: SQL Server
did not return a
response. The connection has been closed.
        at
org.datanucleus.api.jdo.NucleusJDOHelper.getJDOExceptionForNucleusException(NucleusJDOHelper.java:451)
        at org.datanucleus.api.jdo.JDOQuery.execute(JDOQuery.java:275)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getMTable(ObjectStore.java:901)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getTable(ObjectStore.java:833)
NestedThrowablesStackTrace:
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: SQL Server did not return a
response. The connection has been closed.
        at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.terminate(SQLServerConnection.java:1668)
        at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.terminate(SQLServerConnection.java:1655)
        at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSReader.readPacket(IOBuffer.java:4844)

I have also tried replacing BoneCP with DBCP in
datanucleus.connectionPoolingType, that didn't help either.