I don't think that 0.9.3 has been released, so I'm assuming that you're
running on branch-0.9.

There's been over 4000 commits between 0.9.3 and 1.3.1, so I'm afraid that
this question doesn't have a concise answer:
https://github.com/apache/spark/compare/branch-0.9...v1.3.1

To narrow down the potential causes, have you tried comparing 0.9.3 to,
say, 1.0.2 or branch-1.0, or some other version that's closer to 0.9?